vServer under XP SP2 very slow

Erich Geiersberger erichg at mcmm.com
Fri Dec 17 22:36:34 CST 2004

>Hi everybody.
>
>I have a V4MD client/server application running and usually the connect
>between clients and the server database is very fast.
>But since my customers installed SP2 on their servers, the connect() and
>openDatabase() (it might as well be the init()) take very long, about 20 to
>30s each...
>
>I have freed the port in the windows firewall (on both client and server)
>and as soon as it has connected, it is as fast and as reliable as before.
>
>I wonder if someone else has had this results and whether it has been tested
>on SP2 already?
>
>Best regards, Florian

Interesting.
After the SP2 upgrade I seemed to get no connection to the database.
So I opened the port used by the server and it worked again. I admit
I did not wait for 20 or more seconds so I may have overseen that
there is a connect later...

We have advised our customers to open the database port in the
firewall. Anything wrong with that?

Regards
Erich