Select top n?

Peter De Berdt peter.de.berdt at pandora.be
Thu Dec 16 14:20:57 CST 2004

On 16 Dec 2004, at 14:07, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> On 12/16/04 2:18 PM, "Peter Lindgren" <Peter.Lindgren at fdt.se> wrote:
>
> Hi Peter,
>
>> Perhaps this is a FAQ... it's not in the documentation so I'd just
>> ask:
>> Is there a SELECT TOP n feature, like in MS SQL Server?
>
> no
>
>> We need to limit the
>> number of rows returned if the user doesn't specify any criteria at
>> all (there
>> are 770,000 rows in the main table).
>>
>> We use C++ SDK for Win32, 1.10.
>
> But in Valentina cursor is quite small thing.
>
> And selection of ALL records is even faster operation than search.

Indeed, if you use server side cursors, the fetching of the data itself
is only performed when you ask for it. No need for limiting the cursor.
This means you can write your classes with a FetchRow event, which then
just fetches the row you need, very handy (btw, the DataGrid REALbasic
plug-in uses this technique and the speed you achieve on multi-million
record tables is unbelievable).
Best regards

Peter De Berdt