Many to many relation. How?

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Dec 6 12:38:47 CST 2004

On 12/7/04 12:05 PM, "Ralf Sander" <ralf at end-if.de> wrote:

>> You mean CUSTOM GENERATED values ?
>> Then you should self generate them.
> Yes, but how can I produce a serial number, that is really unique?
> May be a silly question, but how can I prevent, that 2 users create the
> same serial? I could use usernames in the id, but the longer the string
> the slower operations will be, right?

Note, that it seems only Access and mySQL offer auto-increment.
Mature dbs such as Sybase do not have them

Develop simple make helper table where keep just 1-2 filed and one or few
records

        table_id     next_id

        t1           546

So you can get value from this table, increment it, and save back 547
546 is the next id for use.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com