Understanding the Cursor

Barney barney at custombased.com
Tue Aug 24 10:32:23 CDT 2004

Hello Ruslan and list,

Could I be really dumb and ask the following. Alternatively is there any
existing data or info I can read regarding the following ?

I have read thru V4RBReference many times but I still come away not really
understanding what I read about creating a cursor. The docs rightly assume I
know some elementary things, but actually I don't. Consequently I just try
different things until I find a cursor that works.

1.) What does CursorLocation mean ? Client or server, what difference does
this make, how and why would I take this into consideration when writing a
database app that a.) is being served or b.) is just a single 1 user
embedded database app.

2.) LockType ... If NoLock is used, does this mean that the code has
complete unrestricted access to the records in the cursor whereby it can
read, write, delete and in a served situation others can do the same at the
same time ?

Obviously in a single user app LockType will be of no concern as the GUI to
the app we build only lets users do what we want them to anyway. We would
just use NoLock the whole time, just as we did prior to advent of Vserver
being introduced along with new V4RB plugin with these parameters in SQL
Statement.

If ReadWrite is used does this mean the record is locked or not ?

3.) DirectionOfCursor.... again, sorry but what does this mean ? I'm afraid
I have no idea what this is. How should I be taking this into consideration
when writing code to access database.

I realise I'm lacking some fundamental understanding here. With the advent
of server which is just awesome, there is a little learning to do about how
this all works. Any reading info or clarification would be a big help.

Thank you.

Barney