[VXCMD] Record Locks

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Mon Aug 23 12:01:47 CDT 2004

On 8/23/04 8:17 AM, "Ruslan Zasukhin" <sunshine at public.kherson.ua> wrote:

> On 8/23/04 2:07 PM, "Robert Brenstein" <rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de> wrote:
>
>>> Robert,
>>>
>>> You have lost. :-)
>>>
>>> We have 2 similar functions:
>>>
>>> 1)  SqlSelectRecords() -- do all in one call.
>>>         No way control record locks now.
>>>

>>> 2) Cursor_GetRecords() --
>>>         yes we can build cursor with locks
>>>         then use this function to get N records.
>>>

>>> Problem is that Bobby use the first function,
>>> And he get into record locks error.
>>>

>> Yes, Ruslan, I seem to be totally confused. None of these two need to
>> have the three parameters to control cursor creation, so where do you
>> want to add them?
>
> I did ask, IF WE NEED add 3 parameters into the first function.

Actually, Ruslan, if you're thinking about changing the SqlSelectRecords()
function, why not just change the kReadOnly flag internally to kNoLocks?
That would prevent the cursor that SQLSelectRecords creates from locking
everyone out (solving the 363 error) and also prevents the need to add 3
params.

(BTW: The main reason Bobby and I experienced this is that we have someone
from New York accessing a database in LA, and the latency caused by the
long-distance access caused our SQLSelectRecords call to tie up all the
records during that period.)

Looking forward to your response,

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software