Database Size?

Brendan Murphy bmurf at comcast.net
Fri Aug 20 10:47:26 CDT 2004

Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:
> On 8/20/04 5:54 PM, "Bill Numerick" <bnumerick at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Bill,
>
>> I was just browsing the Valentina web site and notice in the v-12 vs
>> Valentina section that the Valentina databases are smaller than the
>> V-12,
>
>> however when I moved from V-12 to Valentina my database size
>> went up from about a 1 meg to 18 megs.  What might I have done to do
>> this?  It seems to run out but i'd like to get the size down if
>> possible.
>
> This is FAQ.
>
> You can find it in FAQ section.
>
> Again in short:
>
> * you can control size of empty of almost empty Valentina db
>     using db.SegmentSize.
>
> * in your case I think you have many fields, so initial size of
> Valentina is
> 18MB.  And you add only about 1MB of data. I.e. You have a lots of
> empty
> space.
>
> So change SegmentSize to 2-4KB.
>

> IF you have other case:
>     initial db size was e.g. 0.5Mb, but it go to 18Mb,
>     then probably you have wrong settings for BLOB/Text fields

Valentina 1.10 has the classic space vs speed characteristics. The
bigger you make your segment size the faster it is at the cost of
wasting a lot of disk space. The smaller you make your segments,
the slower it will become, but file size will shrink dramatically.
The law of diminishing returns applies to the extreme ends of
segement size.

In one of my main projects I did an analysis of the space vs speed
ratio and plotted them on a graph and then chose a segment size
that was satisfactory to my particular situation (I found 8KB was
the optimum size for me). If performance is critical to your
application, I suggest taking the time to plot out the effects of
changing the segment size so that you can achieve the right
balance.