Changing character sets in text fields

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Fri Aug 13 19:17:27 CDT 2004

on 13/8/04 6:50 pm, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote

>>> Btw, Valentina Studio allow control format of db, when you create it.
>>> Most of Valentina SDKs (e,g, V4RB) also have this parameter.
>>> Using it you can on MAC prepare db in format native for windows.
>>>
>>> We talk here about Valentina 1.x
>>
>> Is this possible using VXCMD?
>
> I think yes.
>
> Please look int Database_Create() method docs.

This is where I thought it would be, but the docs list only parameters to
set number of files and segment size.

>> And if this is done, then using the example of creating Windows format
>> native db on Mac, would it be the case that text inserted on the Mac would
>> be assumed to be in MacRoman, and converted before storage into some Windows
>> format?  (And btw, what is the format that is used on Windows?  CP1250?
>> ISO-8859-1?  Or is it sensitive to the localisation of the version of
>> Windows?)
>
> Yes, Valentina will expect from you Mac Western,
>   but when write it on disk Valentina will convert it to Latin-1
>
> Win Format Is not sensitive.
> I think it is ISO-8859-1

OK, thanks.  What does Valentina do for characters that don't convert, ie
that are only in what it presumes to be the source character set, but which
don't exist in the storage character set?

  Ben Rubinstein               |  Email: benr_mc at cogapp.com
  Cognitive Applications Ltd   |  Phone: +44 (0)1273-821600
  http://www.cogapp.com        |  Fax  : +44 (0)1273-728866