[V4MD] Object Pointers

Daniel Crowder daniel at monumental-i.com
Sat Aug 7 13:28:31 CDT 2004

I'm getting ready to start a gargantuan project using Valentina in
Director. I'm setting everything up currently and have a few questions:

I have a product table, a media table and a product media link table
that serves as a link between the two. Fairly basic relational stuff
(I'm assuming). Instead of using RecIDs in the link table to identify
the media and products ( and thereby connect the products with the
media) I was thinking of using two ObjectPtr fields instead. Correct me
if I'm wrong, but this seems like the *IDEAL* use for ObjectPtr fields.
The thing I need a little guidance on is how to use to the objectptr.
For instance: I have   record 55 in the products table - how do I define
the ObjectPTR value for use in my link table? When any of the records
are deleted from the products or media tables what is the best way to
make sure that all records in the link table are removed? Does using
Object Pointers here provide some built-in benefits?

Any suggestions and SQL examples are welcome!