VServer on Windows and custom installation

Chris Sheffield cm_sheffield at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 29 09:56:35 CDT 2004

Thanks for responding, Igor.  I've got a couple more
questions I'm hoping you or someone can help me with.

I'm still trying to get the server launched on Win 98.
 It's appearing to me that a restart is necessary
before this will actually happen.  I'm launching it
using -i, and then again using -s, but the process
doesn't actually seem to be running.  And if I try to
connect to the server in order to register my
database, I get error 10061 (see previous post) when
calling the Server_OpenSession() function.  And then,
of course, nothing works.  Am I not doing something
right?  If I restart my computer, the process appears
to be registered as a service and it's running.

Also, in the Zip archive on paradigmasoft.com that's
for embedded users, there is a file Vserver2_9x.exe,
but the main installation for Windows only has
Vserver.exe.  Should I be using the "_9x" version for
Windows 98, or will Vserver.exe work for all versions
of Windows?

Thanks again,

--- Igor Gomon <giv at tlc.kherson.ua> wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> > VServer.pdf states that to start the server as a
> > service you need to run it with the -i option and
> then
> > the -s option.  Is it necessary to do both?  If
> I'm
> > doing my own installation and want to start the
> server
> > from that installation program, do I have to
> actually
> > start it twice?
> Yes, it's necessary. First time launching VServer
> with -i
> option you registers it as a Windows service. And
> then
> only you can run it with -s option - to start it
> actually.
>
> > Also, will VServer run on any version of Windows,
> or
> > just NT-based versions (NT 4.0, 2000, XP, 2003)?
> If
> > it will run on all versions, can it still run as a
> > service under Win 98, or does a shortcut need to
> be
> > placed in the Startup folder?  It's not very
> likely
> > that our customers will run the server on a Win 98
> > machine, but it could happen.
> VServer also runs under Windows98 (Windows 95 not
> tested).
> It runs as a service. So you don't need to add
> anything to the
> Startup folder.
>
> --
> Best regards,