RTF Import

John Bacon-Shone johnbs at hku.hk
Thu Apr 1 10:30:30 CST 2004

>  >The client asked me if my database engine (Valentina, that is) can
>>handle Rich Text Format. I don't know what sort of database file
>>they would give me to import to valentina, though.  Just wondering
>>if anyone had any experience with this.
>>

>RTF is just text (ASCII at that). You can store it in any field that
>handles text (it can get long, depending on how many styles and fonts
>you have, so you probably want something like a text field).
>*Interpreting* the RTF and rendering it into human-readable styled
>text is up to the developer...

Actually, I believe that RTF may *not* be ASCII - as the textual
content may include double-byte or Unicode text.

I think what you mean is that the style and font info is stored as
text, rather than in a binary format.

However, even then, the font name may also not be ASCII (e.g. Chinese
font names)

John
--
Dr. John Bacon-Shone, Director,  Social Sciences Research Centre
8/F Meng Wah Complex, The University of Hong Kong
Tel: 852-28592412 Fax: 852-28584327 E-mail: johnbs at hku.hk