[V4MD] Stopping character remapping

Marcus Bointon marcus at synchromedia.co.uk
Mon Sep 22 18:26:04 CDT 2003

on 22/9/03 17:38, Ruslan Zasukhin at sunshine at public.kherson.ua wrote:

> I wonder, if it is possible for you to open .dir file
> In some text editor and change manually map of translation?
>
> I think you have see that map...
>
> May be this trick will help you?
>
> Before do big work, try change one char only and see if Director will not
> override your changes

No I think it's ok as it is. I find Director does remap the contents of the
font even if there is no character mapping (i.e. Director's font encoding is
separate from the mapping it does on characters).

The other thing is that I'm handling multiple encodings (MacRoman,
MacCentralEurRoman and MacCyrillic), so changing the single embedded mapping
will just make more work elsewhere (i.e. Western works using standard
Director setup, I just need to do some patching of the character maps on the
fly to make other encodings work.
It's all horribly complicated: I enter data in my RB editor in UTF-8, that
gets translated to the encoding for the language I'm editing at the time
(e.g. Russian) and stored raw in Valentina ASCII fields.
The data is then read by a Director movie. The retrieved text is read into
Director, and an appropriate font is selected from several (according to
language/encoding and style). For Western languages, Director does it's
mapping thing, and that's all fine. Unfortunately it also applies the same
mapping to non-western text, so I have a routine that remaps Director's
mapping to an encoding that matches the encoding of my Windows fonts. The
net result is that what I type in my Mac RB editor comes out the same in
Director on Windows. That's a large number of hoops to jump through, but it
does work, and all I need to do to add more encodings is build new maps,
which is not too hard.
One day I'll be able to scrap all this and do it all in Unicode. If someone
can suggest a good way of building Director-style animated interfaces in RB,
then I could dump Director altogether.

Marcus
--
Marcus Bointon
Synchromedia Limited: Putting you in the picture