[V4RB] Strings...

Deane Venske dean at eduss.com
Mon Sep 15 09:57:58 CDT 2003

Hi There,

This is not really a problem, but rather an inconsistency that being a
developer I know probably has a good reason but I thought I'd bring it up.
When using strings with apostrophies in them, such as O'Grady, I user
double quotation marks to insert them :
INSERT INTO userDetails VALUES(1, "Charles", "O'Grady")
This works fine. But when I'm trying to do a select this query doesn't
work :
SELECT FROM userDetails WHERE lastName = "O'Grady"
Instead I must use a forward slash to complete the query like this :
SELECT FROM userDetails WHERE lastName = 'O\'Grady'
Any double quotes don't work in SELECTs but do in INSERTs. I'm currently
using V4RB 1.9.8 released on July 31st.

I'm not sure if anyone has managed to compile the V4RB Client into a
Real Basic 5 plugin, but if they have would it be possible to get that,
or perhaps get instructions on how to do it, what files to put where etc.

Regards,
Deane Venske