Encodings on RB 5

Cindy alvin at ins.co.nz
Thu Sep 11 19:18:43 CDT 2003

Hi All,

Just trying to finalise my windows version so it talks to the Mac. Behind
the scenes I have an ID code to identify each record. This code can use any
of the 256 characters except for obvious ones such as return, ", etc.

On my Mac I may have a code for a record such as: 00TÈX@
Kw

When I look at the files on the PC that I have copied over from the Mac, the
same record's identity code is now: 00TÈX at Y´Kw

This means that the PC changes the codings as soon as the database is
dragged over.

If I want to change a record on the PC, it won't find the appropriate record
on the Macintosh because it can't find the record.

I presume this has something to do with encodings. I have encodings working
fine within machines - MacRoman on the Mac and Windows Latin 1 for Windows
and these are going fine. But I can't tell how to make the right codings go
from the Windows version to Macintosh across TCP/IP.

If someone could help me on this I would really appreciate it.

Regards

Cindy