[V4MD] Multiple connections

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Thu Sep 4 11:08:26 CDT 2003

>on 9/3/03 4:46 PM, Lloyd Butler at lbutler at on.pelmorex.com wrote:
>
>Hi Lloyd,
>
>>  In following this thread, it dawned on me. What counts as a server
>>  connection?
>
>We name Database object = connection.

So if I my setup involves several databases and a client fetches
cursors from them, a single client counts as several connections. If
so, I see myself merging my databases into a single bigger one.

>  > If you have the connection timeout set long, and a client dies, but the
>>  cursor has not timed out, is that one connection not avialable from the
>>  pool?
>
>Not correct. User can have one db object. This is one connection.
>User can make then 5 cursors. But this is still ONE connection.

I think what you say confirms that earlier statement: it is still one
connection until client asks to close it or server times it out.

>And if server drop that user on idle, then all his cursors are closed of
>course.

But what is idle connection? During a session, the time of
constructing cursors is often quite minimal, so client will be in
idle mode most of the time. The only way to check whether the
connection went stale is for server to ask client whether it is still
there, which makes no sense.

Robert