Text encoding from V4RB to V4MD

Marcus Bointon marcus at synchromedia.co.uk
Wed Sep 3 15:48:00 CDT 2003

This is not actually quite a Valentina problem... I have a project with RB
and MD parts arranged in this chain:

In RB:
  Edit text
  Store text in Valentina
In Director:
  Retrieve text from Valentina
  Display text

I need to add encoding handling to this, something like:

In RB:
  Edit text in encoding-aware editfield
  Store text & encoding in Valentina
In Director:
  Retrieve text & encoding from Valentina
  Apply encoding to text and specify an appropriate font
  Display text

I'm just using Valentina to store 8-bit text. It seems RB can handle the
encoding pretty well these days, but Director is another matter. If
something has been stored as say, MacCyrillic, and I retrieve and display it
by just sticking the text into a text member, and assign an appropriate
Cyrillic font, is it likely to work? Am I likely to be tripped up by
fontmap.txt in director?

Any advice gratefully received.

Marcus
--
Marcus Bointon
Synchromedia Limited: Putting you in the picture