[V4MD] Multiple connections

Lloyd Butler lbutler at on.pelmorex.com
Wed Sep 3 09:46:23 CDT 2003

Ruslan,

In following this thread, it dawned on me. What counts as a server
connection?

If you have the connection timeout set long, and a client dies, but the
cursor has not timed out, is that one connection not avialable from the
pool?

So if you have the basic 5 connections, as a developer, we need to worry
about those not quite timed out connections eating up our allowable
connections.

Is there a way yet to get Vserver to flush all the idle connections before
they are timed out? Most of the discussion so far seems to be from the
client end asking to be reconnected. What if the client dies and doesn't
come back? Is there a way to get the server to kill the connection before it
times out? Not so much from the client end, but just to have that ability as
a db admin to reset all connections without restarting the server.

There are cases where you would like to have a long time out as a safety
net, but not want it to bite you in the butt at the same time in terms of
stale connections.

Lloyd