[VSRV][V4RB] connection status

Tim Davis timdavis at amug.org
Mon Sep 1 00:09:18 CDT 2003

Hi Ruslan and Igor,

>>   I'm looking for a graceful way to reconnect after connection
>> timeout. I'm having trouble getting verification that the connection
>> has been dropped. How does each client app test its database
>> connection?
>
> Well, let's think.
>
> When we open db on disk, we check if it is opened using
>     db.IsOpen()
> For remote access we can use IsOpen() to check connection status.
> Igor, agree?
> Tim, am I right?

If I understand, you are suggesting a new boolean function "IsOpen" to
test the connection. Yes, that is what I'm looking for.

I do want to use a client connection timeout. The client app may
attempt more activities after timeout and I want to reconnect a
connection if dropped. Before each database action I ask db.IsOpen, if
false call db.Open, then continue the action.

> You have stick into case that server have disconnect a client in case
> of
> long idle?
> Igor this already works as I know, yes?
> What timeout on default?
> As I understand this can be managed in the ini file, yes?
> And can a developer set NO TIMEOUT?  I.e. Very long timeout?

Does a timeout of zero have no timeout? I think that would be a good
way to specify it, (if the situation calls for it).

Thanks,
Tim Davis