Questions about CREATOR

chuck hinkle chuckbo at hinkles.us
Sun Oct 26 06:57:09 CST 2003

I'm having trouble re-opening a database that I've saved.  I'm certain that
my problem is that I'm not using the .Creator property correctly. (Maybe
it's just late -- I'm heading to bed after I send this note.) Here's the RB
code.

To create the database, I'm using
  myDB = new goDB

  f =  getsavefolderItem("gdb","TestDB")

  mygoDB.schemaversion = 1
  mygodb.creator = "goDB"

  if f <> nil then
    rc= mygDB.create(f,1,4*1024)
  end if

That seems to work. I get a file out there. I can open it with the Vapp and
examine the table structure. Looks good. But I'm able to select any file in
the folder when I select the file to Open, and I get a NilObjectException
error when I try to open the Valentina database that I just created.

  dim f as folderItem
  dim rc as boolean

  f = GetOpenFolderItem("gdb")
  if f<>nil then
    rc = mygoDB.open(f)
  end if

I've gone to Edit File Type and added a type with a Name of gdb and a Mac
Creator of GoDB and an extension of GDB.

I don't see where I've gone wrong, except that I really don't know what I'm
doing with Creators and File types.

Thanks for reading (and replying) to just a basic question. That's the
problem with moving to a new database and new version of a language that
I've really been using for lots of years ... I can do all kinds of really
hard stuff, but some of the most fundamental items have me scratching my
head.