Unique ID Question

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat Oct 25 11:59:18 CDT 2003

on 10/25/03 10:38, Ian Devaney at idevaney at mac.com wrote:

> When I look back at some of the first applications I made using
> Valentina I see that I always had a "unique_ID" column in each table
> that worked pretty much like the RecID but that I calculated myself
> using a function that got the Max value of this column.
>
> I presume this has something to do do with the fact that RecID's get
> re-used but I can't for the life of me remember the real reason I did
> this and whether I should be doing it now!
>
> Any comments?

Hi Ian,

For some tasks should be used unique id that are not reused.
Probably yes.

In Valentina RecIDs are still sage because Valentina cleanup related tables
and you do not get hang pointers.

In Valentina 2.0 we will add feature auto incremented field.
    (I have see good idea in SqlLite and I like its simplicity)

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com