[ RB4] To test a cursor ?

Tim Davis timdavis at amug.org
Fri Oct 24 00:19:07 CDT 2003

Hi Ruslan,

> You can write for example:
>
>     if curs <> nil and curs.FirstRecord
>         do
>         while curs.NextRecord
>     endif

Pardon me for saying, but I think RB has a problem with checking for a
nil cursor along with using the cursor. If the cursor was nil, it will
still continue and get a nil object exception error at FirstRecord.
(Though that's creative syntax, RB uses Do/Loop Until OR While/Wend.)
So the above would be:

if curs <> nil then
	if curs.FirstRecord then
		do
		loop until not curs.NextRecord
	end if
end if

> Or
>
>     for I = 1 to curs.GetRecordCount()
>         curs.NextRecord()
>     next

if curs <> nil then
	for i = 1 to curs.RecordCount
		curs.NextRecord
	next
end if

Is there any issue that might come up by ignoring the NextRecord
boolean and relying solely on the RecordCount?

Now we've covered all three REALbasic loops to cycle through cursor
records.   : )

Thanks,
Tim Davis