Lots of beginner questions

chuck hinkle chuckbo at hinkles.us
Mon Oct 20 21:45:20 CDT 2003

> Not once.
>
> You make hierarchy of objects.
>   myDatabase
>       tables
>           fields.
>

> No before Create() or before Open() existed db you do ONE LINE OF CODE
>
>   db = new myDatabase
>
> This line of code calls the cascade of constructors and create in RAM all
> needed objects.
>
> Now you can say
>
>   db.Create() or db.Open()

Slowly, I'm getting it.
But there are still some really fundamental issues that I'm just very slow
to comprehend.

What exactly happens when someone double-clicks on a database that has the
creator set and opens a RB application to run?

Let's say that I have an application with a Class type of myDatabase in it,
and myDatabase has several base objects defined as properties, and so on.
Let's say that all of that has been set up without problem. myDatabase has
Vdatabase as its superclass.

In the app.open, I'll put the

    db = new myDatabase

to instantiate all of the database objects. Right? Then, it seems that I
want to do a

    db.open(filepathname)

where filepathname is the path and name of the file that I double-clicked
on. Is that right? (BTW, can someone please share the command that will
return the name of the file that was opened -- not the name of the
application running?)

I don't understand why OPEN doesn't show up in the popup list of
properties/methods when I type, in the code window, "db." and press a tab. I
see things like BaseObjectCount and CenturyBound and even Close.