Trying to understand record locks

James Kleinschmidt jkleins at shentel.net
Fri Oct 17 15:45:30 CDT 2003

No, I have two different cursors theCur and theNewCur. "theCur"  is
stored in a global variable and then I make a new cursor "theNewCur".
The only difference in the two scenerios is that with the first I just
stored the locked cursor directly and then made theNewCur and with the
second I stored an unlocked cursor and then immediately replaced it
with a locked cursor. The results, its seems to my thinking, should be
the same, since the locked cursor is the currently stored cursor in
both cases.
The second cursor "theNewCur" should fail both times as it is trying to
access locked data. It does fail the first time. But in the second
instance the cursor does not fail. It allows me to put a cursor into
theNewCur and update records in it even though I have a valid cursor
with read/write locks in a different global variable. I hope that was
clearer.
Thanks,

JIm