BLOB Field, Director, SetMedia

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Oct 10 19:41:02 CDT 2003

on 10/9/03 18:20, Jochen Peters at j.peters at valentina-db.de wrote:

Hi Jochen,

> i have got the following support question (translated from german :-) )
>
> (They use V4MD)
>
> "We are storing pictures in BLOB-Fields using SetMedia. When we update
> a record via a cursor we can see that
> the BLOB File is getting bigger with each update - even if the picture
> hasn't changed. Why does that happen?

Actually Cursor.update() should be called ONLY for fields that really are
changed by user in some FORM.

> We want to store our db on a CD-ROM - now it is too big for it because
> we have made many changes using cursor updates - which
> has lead to a big BLOB File as decribed. What can we do?"

They can try to do SQL command "COMPACT"

Also they can do XML Dump and later Load. Effect even better of COMPACT.

> Do we need more information? Why is the BLOB File getting bigger?

I can think about next:

Let some record have BLOB value 10 KB.
They try now UPDATE it by the same value.
But Valentina DO NOT know that.
So it store another 10KB and destroy first 10KB.

I wonder they say it grow all time!
On the second such UPDATE empty space of first 10 KB should be reused by
Valentina...

May be they have some strange code...
May be they call SetBlank() before Update? This is mistake then!!!

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com