Valentina and encodings

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Oct 10 15:54:38 CDT 2003

on 10/10/03 2:07, Einhugur Software at bjorn at einhugur.com wrote:

Hi Bjorn,

> I have been debugging DataGrid 3.0 prototype for the last days in tests
> against Valentina (the one that is based on the StyleGrid).
>
> 3.0 is multi encoding aware, rather than only using System encodings as
> was in the past, this means for example that you can display Roman,
> Japanese and Arabic all at the same time.
>
> The problem is I was getting crashes that I did not understand, until I
> tried to do the following with the string that Valentina is returning.
>
> Row.CellText(i) =
> DefineEncoding(mCursor.Field(i).GetString(),Encodings.SystemDefault)
>
> So my question here is: Is valentina returning REALbasic string where
> the encoding is missing ?
>
> If so then is it planned to support it ? or is it like this by design ?

Yes Valentina returns string with no encodings.
And this cause RB to crash???

I think they was need to make protection, agree?
Because they change old behavior.

I did not touch many new additional of RB SDK yet.
Mainly because this require or DROP support of old RB versions.
Or provide few builds for several different versions.

For example I very like
    default params
    exceptions.

I think when we will work on V4RB 2.0 we will include ALL NEWEST additions
of RB SDK. Yes we will drop support of old RB versions.
But sometimes it needs to do...

So yes, in 2.0 we will add encoding support.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com