RB 5.2.1, UTF8, and V4RB Question

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Oct 6 20:26:48 CDT 2003

on 10/6/03 7:15 PM, Dave Wooldridge at ebutterfly at comcast.net wrote:

Hi Dave,

> Ruslan,
>
> Thanks for your quick response!  It's much appreciated!
>
> One more question: To properly plan for the Unicode-savvy 2.0 release of
> V4RB, should I use VVarChar or Vstring with short strings that I convert
> from UTF-8 to MacRoman (using V4RB 1.9.8)?

Yes, you need to use Vstring, Varchar or Vtext fields.

Yes, you need convert into MacRoman.

Thee is no other ways to work with strings now.
In fact very good way that have work for all us for years :-)

> What is the difference between
> VString and VVarChar?  I read your documentation and yet I still don't know
> how they are different.

The main difference how they are stored on disk.

    Vstring[100]
    VarChar[100]

All looks the same for you outside.
But if you will store 1000 records with value "test" in first case you will
get eaten 1000 * 100 = 100KB  on disk. In the second case you will eat just
1000 * (4 + 4) = 8KB or so.

But Vstring is more effective for short strings e.g. < 20-40 bytes.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com