Encoding.

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Oct 1 21:39:16 CDT 2003

on 9/11/03 5:23 PM, Robert Brenstein at rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de wrote:

>> I have see that all other DBMS use db-level encoding ONLY
>>

> That may be but I would not consider that an improvement over what we have
> now.
>

>> May be, so you mean that user must preapre SQL string as next
>>
>>     WHERE f1 = 'Cyrillic string' and f2 = 'german string'
>
> Yes. Except for encoding I would rather a different designation, if
> possible, not to confuse these with the language setting. There is no
> "german" encoding, for example. It would be iso-8859-1 or one of
> platform-specific variants. Cyrillic can be iso-8859-1, K018-l,
> Windows-1251, or MacCyrillic (using notation from Netscape).
>
>    WHERE f1 = 'iso-8859-5 string' and f2 = 'iso-8859-1 string'

As you have hear Igor now works with IBM library.

Great library, I must say.
It supports locales of date, time, currency, 270 encodings!

If compile EVERYTHING it take guess how much?!
About 8MB !!!

Again and again, this LIBRARY must be simply part of OS X, Win and Linux.
They give all us a lots of problems that this is not a case.

We hope to extract only some the most important its parts (they allow
tuning). But I think we all need prepare self that this feature bring
0.5-1MB at least to Valentina kernel.

Also we can say now, that like windows and OS X,
Internally Valentina will work only with UTF16 strings.
All rest will be conversions to/from ...

They have some standard names for languages, encodings, so we will use them.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com