Vserver Xtra V4MD

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Oct 1 21:01:21 CDT 2003

on 10/1/03 5:55 PM, Florian Bogeschdorfer at fb at memedia.de wrote:

Florian,

We have not add this to V4MD docs yet, but you can download V4RB docs and
read some info there.

> Some basic questions:
>
> 1. To change server settings, I will first have to openSession() ?

Yes.
You work with class Vserver will work as with Vdatabase.

> 2. getConnectionCount() will show total clients connected where my Vserver
> Xtra instance is an connection as well as a client that openend a database,
> even if it is from the same projector?

YES.

This show total count of established connections to SERVER
On each connection server write into log:
    "connection established"

> 3. the getConnectionCount() will not update unless you close the session and
> open it again? At least this is how it is here.

Please note that exists method Refresh()
This is exactly for this purpose.

> 4. If I wanted to do a user count control (user may only 3 clients e.g.) I
> could just count connections and quit if there are more connections than 3
> (that would be 6 since the vServer Xtra is a connection itself)?

Why you need count?

Vserver have own built-in protection as you know.
If user try connect and limit is out then server will return you error.

> 5. Removing the default user ("sa","sa") and making a new user with a
> individual code by the customer will make it quite safe from beeing opened
> with other applications?

YES OF COURSE!!!

You ALWAYS must replace "sa"/"sa" user ASAP.

> But data could very well be browsed with a hex editor?

But data are on SERVER computer, correct?

And here you must use power of your OS to protect your files from access.
In this way works e.g. MySQL and most others.

> 6. When will the database encrypt methods be included in Vserver?

I think tomorrow. Igor already have implement almost all features he have
list to you.

Yes, IF exists chance that somebody can come directly to your server
computer and open YOUR files in hex then of course it is better to encrypt
db fuiles.

But again this is not usual practice.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com