[V4MD] / [ALL] orphaned segments in text field

Martin Kloss martin.kloss at gmx.de
Wed Oct 1 09:38:16 CDT 2003

At 22:28 30.09.2003 +0300, you wrote:
> > example, I have 68 records. When I create a 69th record and
> > then immediately delete it afterwards, I get:
> >
> > VarChar field corrupted (351)
>
>Argh!...

Right :-)

> > (!) Minor problem: exists 8 orphan segments.(indicate mistake in
> algorithm.)
> > What does it mean? How can I fix it and how does it happen?
>
>This can happens if you
>
>1)
>     fldText = assign some value
>
>     and DO NOT do cursor.UpdateRecord() on some reason.
>     I have see a couple of times that developer do
>     UpdateRecord() by IF(). This is not correct.

I don't use UpdateRecord() at all, nowhere in my code,
I just use sql INSERT and UPDATE statement with binded values.

>----------
>2)
>     you have made
>
>     fldText = assign some value
>     cursor.UpdateRecord()
>
>But cursor was read only. So update is not executed, but your data left in
>file.

Again, there is no cursor.UpdateRecord() in my code.
What else can it be then? The client said he did not get any
errors at all when saving the record.

Is there a chance I can fix it? If so, how?

Martin.

Martin Kloss

Need music? http://www.selling-sound.com

Like the author? Buy the book at:
http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/3898422194/lingmmugd

Get your daily dose of Lingo at the LingoPark:
http://www.lingopark.de