[V4RB] Opening modified databases

jda jda at his.com
Fri Nov 28 14:13:18 CST 2003

>Do you try open modified db as MyDatabase or Vdatabase ?
>
>You will be able open it only as Vdatabase.
>But I think it is annoying open it as VDatabase, check, then close and
>reopen as myDatabase.
>
>Hmm, something must be changed...
>
>I think must be
>
>     db.GetVersion()
>
>For db files without opening.

I didn't see that, but I do see that even though the result of
opening the db is false, you can still see the SchemaVersion. So
that's one way of checking.

But since 2.0 is coming up, may I make a suggestion? This is a poor
way of checking for incompatible new versions because it must be
coded in the *older* version. In other words, I have to know now that
my version x won't open version y, when version y isn't even planned
yet.

I like my solution (if it worked!) of having a field called
"MinimumVersionRequired". That way any database can check to see if
its version number is acceptable. Maybe along with the SchemaVersion
this could be a field one could access without opening the database?

Jon