convert database entrys

Jonathan Fiagbedzi j.fiagbedzi at e-novum.com
Mon Nov 24 09:12:45 CST 2003

Hi Ruslan,

thanks for you answer.

> > Maufa; Sub1; Sub2...
> > -------------------
> > BMW; Wheel; Tire
> > BMW; Wheel; Rim
> > BMW; Window; Front
> > Audi; Wheel; Tire
> > Audi; Wheel; Rim
> > Audi; Window; Front
>

> You keep all this in one table?
>
> In fact not good design because your table is not normalized

What would be a good design for my database. i want to have a good design
because i have a lot of records and want to learn how to build very good db
designs.

It is an database for an cd product catalog made with MM Director.
I get the articles in an .csv document an can so import it into my valentina
database.

i have the following fields in the .csv document (only the importent ones).

--------------------
Main Category
Sub Category 1
Sub Category 2
Sub Category 3
Sub Category 4
Sub Category 5
Product Nr
Product Name
Product Description
Product Remarks
Product Price
Product Weight
Product Size A
Product Size B
Product Size C
--------------------

What would be a good design now?
I need the Categorys for Building the navigiation (written in my last email)
and search afterwards for records in the selcted category.

What do you mean with "table is not normalized"?

An other question is where i can read about performance difference between
the database fietypes (String, VarChar, BLOB, TEXT ...)?

I have for all of my Producs Images. Is it better putting them into a "BLOB"
database or leve them in the filesystem or an cast of MM Director an put
obly the name into the database?

best regards Jonathan