Modifying tables

jda jda at his.com
Fri Nov 21 18:39:40 CST 2003

Hi all,

I have a table, "example", that I want to modify as I move my app to
a new version. Here's my code:

     i = localFormatDB.SQLExecute("ALTER table example ADD user3 string(20)")
     i = localFormatDB.SQLExecute("ALTER table example ADD user3style Blob(1)")
     i = localFormatDB.SQLExecute("ALTER table example ADD user4 String(20)")
     i = localFormatDB.SQLExecute("ALTER table example ADD user4style Blob(1)")
     myCursor = new VCursor(localFormatDB, "select * from example
where recID = 1", kServer, kReadWrite)
     if myCursor <> nil then
       myCursor.Field("user3").SetString("user3 information")
       myCursor.Field("user4").setString("user4 information")

       result = myCursor.update
       myCursor = nil
    end if

Everything seems to go well, but when I try to use the data my app
crashes. Looking at the cursor for, say, user3, the baseobject is set
to Nil even after doing the update.

I'm obviously missing something. Anyone?

Thanks,

Jon