[V4MD] Missing field

Scott Runkel srunkel at hypix.com
Thu Nov 20 13:02:00 CST 2003

This may be more appropriate for the Studio list, but I'm not sure. A similar
thing affected me in Director.

In Studio, I added 3 fields to my database: two varbinary and one TEXT. When I
went back to Director to add text into the TEXT field, which appeared to be
successful (no errors), the text didn't "take." Opening the db in Studio again
showed the field was there, but no data in it for any records. Back in Director,
open the db, dump the db, and look at the XML -- the field was defined in the
BaseObject section correctly, but then none of the records in the database had
that field at all, although they all should have. And all of them DID have the 2
varbinary fields, which were still blank.

I had a similar problem earlier when I added fields to the db, then did a dump,
and the XML didn't show the fields because they had no data in them (they were
TEXT fields set to ""). When I did the whole thing over and created the fields
with "0" instead of "", they did show up in the XML. The problem with this is
that loading the XML results in the fields not being there at all in the db.

-SR

Scott Runkel
Director of Technology
503-722-2123