[V4MD] picture pixel bug

Martin Kloss martin.kloss at gmx.de
Thu Nov 20 10:00:10 CST 2003

At 23:13 19.11.2003, you wrote:
>I wonder if I should put my #text members into BLOBs? I'm going to have a few
>thousand of them, and it's already slowing the loading just in authoring mode.

It really depends on some other things. If you have 16-bit images, I would
generally recommend putting them in a picture field.

The picture field has a couple of advantages:
- it leaves the images compressed, so your db will not get huge if you have
many pics
- it's cross-platform, supports any Director version >7
- its data is pure JPEG data, so you can also access your db from RB, PHP etc.

The SetMedia function stores the data in the binary format of the Director
version you're working with in a BLOB field. So if you want to access the data
from another Director version, you're screwed, unless that Director version
uses
the same format. Also, you cannot access that data from other apps like RB,
because they wouldn't know what to do with that data.

But it works cross-platform, so if you're using Dir MX on Mac & PC, you can
use that method. But remember that it will not get compressed in any way.
So the image data will be huge, since Director always bitmaps pictures
internally,
i.e. JPEG's get decoded.

Martin.

Martin Kloss

Need music? http://www.selling-sound.com

Like the author? Buy the book at:
http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/3898422194/lingmmugd

Get your daily dose of Lingo at the LingoPark:
http://www.lingopark.de