Retrieving object pointers [Never Mind]

chuck hinkle chuckbo at hinkles.us
Wed Nov 5 08:43:01 CST 2003

> on 11/5/03 2:17 PM, chuck hinkle at chuckbo at hinkles.us wrote:
>
> Hi Chuck,
>
>> Here's something that seems odd. I've got my three tables, Employees,
>> Departments, and DeptEmp, with pointers between them. I know that
>> they're
>> going in correctly, because I can go to the browser window and see the
>> associated records.
>>
>> But when I do select * from Employees, Departments, DeptEmp" my cursor
>> is
>> nil.
>
> In viSQL also?

I had forgotten about viSQL. I was running tests and looking at the
results with MSGBOX commands in RB.
I started retyping and moving portions of the command around, and I
stopped getting having the NIL problem, but I was still retrieving 0
records. I would do a retrieval on a single table, and everything came
back. I would do a retrieval on just two tables, and I'd get 0 records. I
tried leaving out the Where clause completely, and I still got 0 records.
But as soon as I explicitly added to the where clause the pointer = recid,
then my retrievals were working. So maybe I'm don't have the pointer
defined correctly (though it looks okay in the Valentina application in
both the definition and browser windows).

Anyway, I'm moving on with some window functionality now that I think my
database interfaces are working.