Questions inserting records with object pointers.

Fred.Stephenson Fred.Stephenson at communication-unltd.com
Tue Nov 4 12:14:59 CST 2003

>Because assign of LONG to LONG
>Is at least 4 times faster that conversion
>
>         LONG -> String -> LONG
>
>>  I have no problem with "value" as I use it for doubles but never
>>  bothered with other field types that I use
>>  so that I could copy and paste and then just change the field names
>>  (I'm extremely lazy ;?))
>
>You can do this. But this is not best way :-)
>
>That way is good although to have THE SAME line of code working for many
>types.

yes that's what I meant when I say I'm lazy.
for example, in rb, if I have a lot of fields I normally just do
curs.field("fred").setstring(editfield1.text)
curs.field("counter").setstring(editfield2.text)
etc...

I wouldn't really have a massive speed increase if I wrote
curs.field("fred").setstring(editfield1.text)
curs.shortfield("counter").value=val(editfield2.text)
etc...

would I ??

all the best
Fred