Questions inserting records with object pointers.

chuck hinkle chuckbo at hinkles.us
Mon Nov 3 11:48:20 CST 2003

I've got my schemas built (I believe), and I'm able to review them, and
they look okay. But I haven't figured out how to deal with tables that are
connected by object pointers.

Let's say that I have three tables:

1) Employees
2) Departments
and 3) Dept_Emp which is used to resolve the many-to-many relationship
between employees and departments. Dept_Emp will have two fields in it,
ptrEmployee and ptrDepartment.

Now, let's say that I want to assign some employees to teams. What will
the SQL be for that? I was thinking that I would have to
  1) Retrieve the RecordID for the Employee and assign it to an integer
variable (in RB);
  2) Retrieve the RecordID for the dept and assign it to an integer.
  3) Write a SQL statement to do an Insert with the two pointers.

But that seems to go against the idea behind the Valentina model; I feel
like I'm trying to manipulate data that Valentina wants to manage itself.
Am I really on the right track, or is there an easier, recommended way?

I didn't find anything in the V4RBReference.