Today is a good day

Florian Bogeschdorfer fb at memedia.de
Mon Nov 3 16:36:18 CST 2003

Hi list!

Just wanted to let you know that I finished my first custom installer for
Vserver using my own name and embedded license file.

I used the INNO setup installer ( http://www.jrsoftware.org/ )  together
with INS tool (http://www.istool.org/). It takes about 5 minutes to build it
and it looks sooo good.

What I did in case you want to use it:

1. Install Vserver to your computer
2. Turn Valentina server service off
3. Duplicate the whole Vserver application folder 4. Delete all files from
the duplicated folder except for Databases(folder, delete master.vdb),
licenses(folder), ace.dll, Vserver_NT.exe, Vserver_NT.ini, msvcp71.dll,
msvcr71.dll, VServer2.dll.
5. Now if you want, rename the Vserver_NT.exe to myDesiredName_NT.exe. Don't
forget to rename the .ini identically too.
6. Open the .ini and enter a different port (I used 15433 instead of 15432).
Also lower debug level :-) 7. Place your embedded license file in the
licenses folder

8. Now use an installer to copy this structure to whereever on the users
hard drive 9. Let the installer start myDesiredName_NT.exe with option -i
10. Restart the system (unfortunately the service will not start
automatically yet)

11. That's it.

I am also willing to share my INNO setup scripts if you want, just mail me
offlist. INNO setup is donationware.

Now I got to get rid of one big last handicap: there is too many connections
with the VDN embedded license server. Due to Ruslans generousity it's 5 and
I only want the user to be able to use 2 copies of my application (or pay
more). I am solving this automatic license control with an USB dongle now...

So have fun and enjoy Vserver (ähh, sorry, myDesiredName Server of course
:-) )

Florian

PS: I would like to take the opportunity and thank Ruslan, Igor and whoever
else works at Paradigma, for a great product and even more for an excellent
support. Ruslan eg was available almost around the clock and even on Sundays
(not that I would expect that for the future Ruslan!)