Method syntax for a composite pointer index

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat Nov 1 16:31:12 CST 2003

on 11/1/03 15:50, chuck hinkle at chuckbo at hinkles.us wrote:

>>> Component_ptr = new vobjectPtr("Component_ptr", indatabase.Components,
>>> kv_cascade + kv_indexed)
>>> Container_ptr = new
>>> vobjectPtr("Container_ptr",indatabase.containers,kv_cascade + kv_indexed)
>>                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>                                               BTW, this is NOT CORRECT!!!!
>>

>> Cascade -- this is deletion control parameter.
>>
>> kV_Indexed -- this is FLAGS parameter.
>>
>> Please check docs!
>

> Can someone explain the error, please, because that's what I understood I
> needed to do when I read the documentation.
>
> I think I want the kv_cascade, because when this record is deleted, I want
> all of the records in the Many side that are being pointed to be deleted.
> I'll go back and look at the 3-table RB example. But maybe I'm not focused
> on the right part of the documentation or it's confusing to me.
>
> And are you saying that I don't need to use kV_Indexed because why -- are
> pointers always indexed, without being specified?

Well, actually ObjectPtr field always indexed, yes.
But I have mean other.

I mean that this should be 2 different parameters!

    vobjectPtr( "Container_ptr",
                 indatabase.containers,
                 kv_cascade,    <<< this is deletion control
                 kv_indexed)    <<< this is flags

Yes, this have not many sense.

    vobjectPtr( "Container_ptr",
                 indatabase.containers,
                 kv_cascade,
                 kv_indexed + kv_Unique )

This have sense because establish 1 : 1 link.

Chuck, I do not remember if contructor VObjectPtr accept flags.
If no, then you can dictate the, inside of constructor as to properties.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com