String vs VarChar

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed May 28 23:03:45 CDT 2003

on 5/28/03 10:38 PM, Mark Maslowski at mark at majico.com wrote:

Hi Mark,

> I'm currently reading and writing text to a small database from Director
> 8.5. I have the fields set as String. However, I'm finding that the data in
> some cases could be quite long. I've tried changing those field to VarChar
> but it will not write any data at all. If I change back to String, it works
> fine. Am I missing something?

How you have change them?

    In Lingo code, then create new db and fill records?
    then this must work.

What length you have set for VarChar fields?
You need set it e,g 504 bytes.

If you are on mac then open your db by VAPP, and check what you have.
Try add records via VAPP.

On windows open db using viSQL. And check at least structure.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com