[ALL] let's think about Query Language for 2.0

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri May 23 17:24:53 CDT 2003

on 5/23/03 1:52 PM, Andreas Grosam at agrosam at computerworks.ch wrote:

Hi Andreas,

> Here are my thoughts - although i did not address each of your ideas.
> [sorry please - i apologise for that huge mail ;)]
>
> If I understood you right, firstly, your primary concern is to
> eliminate the overhead imposed by a SQL parser when processing queries
> specified in a string. IMO, the overhead will be not so significant -
> compared to a complex query requiring to access a disc.

Not a fact, Andreas.

One of Valentina C++ developers have point me that when he use BitSets he
can get speed of query up to 100 times faster.

Parser really can take MANY time, Andreas.
Not only because of text. Also optimizer, planner.
With Bitsets developer __SOMETIMES__ can write VERY optimal plan.

The bigger language parser can understand then longer path to find tokens.
Also, note, that if size of Valentina kernel itself have about 0.6-0.8MB
The Parser looks to get 0.5MB self. Not bad, yes?

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com