parallel lineal numerical string comparison algorithm

Mark Brownell gizmotron at earthlink.net
Mon May 19 11:09:35 CDT 2003

Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> Marc, I am sorry, but I still do not understand you idea.
>
> So let you have Table with one TEXT field, and you store here XML
> record of
> a SALES. Let table have million of records.
>
> How you see now search:
>     find all sales with total < $100  ?
>
> In your way, you MSUT iterate million records, parse them to extract
> attribute TOTAL and read its value.
>
> So where is advantage ???

There would not be an advantage, SQL is already the best way. I was
talking about the easy to use Query Language that would be for those
that don't want to learn SQL. In a small enough database parsing the
XML would be fast enough with PNLP. I guess it would still reguire an
easy to use Query Language to use this as well.

This is what I would do if Valentina were mine, ... :-)

I would create a framework or set of classes that would transform human
readable commands into SQL commands so that interface developers could
use the easy to use Query Language to carry out the already developed
SQL.

How about this:

get All (lessThan, price, $100), include(name, transaction number,
product, price, date)

get All (range, price, $100, $200), include(name, transaction number,
product, price, date)

get Next( valueLast +1 ) (lessThan, price, $100), include(name,
transaction number, product, price, date)

get DateRange (after 12/11/02), (lessThan, price, $100), include(name,
transaction number, product, price, date)

Mark