[ALL] let's think about Query Language for 2.0

Mark Brownell gizmotron at earthlink.net
Sat May 17 22:09:50 CDT 2003

Hi, Ruslan, Andy,

A few years ago I was toying with the idea of pull-parser concepts for
XML. I found great success using a parallel lineal numerical string
comparison algorithm; the original source code is still referenced from
the download page for Director V4MD at the paradigmasoft.com page.  I
have been using a combination of a database table containing only one
record per row. Each record is in fact an object containing a small
section of a fuller XML document.

Example Object:
<object>
   <transactionNumber>1234567 </transactionNumber>
   <name>Bob T. Customer</name>
   <product name="Super Fishing Real XX10" code="121212-34"</product>
</object>

A pull-parser acts on the object by isolating the different elements
and attributes and manipulating them outside of the SQL call that is
used just to access each object. In this way it is possible to create
an entire text based database based on the XML found in each object.
Although this is a hybrid solution that is still dependent on the SQL
call, to get each object, the real power is the pull-parser and its
ease of use in text or XML transformation projects. I've used the PNLP
technique in Director, RB, and Runtime Revolution.

So a high speed PNLP that could pull attributes and elements from XML
objects located inside of  tables could be used to create an easy to
use Query Language now. (think string comparison)

I don't know if this is on topic but I know it is easy to access data
and do different interface things with that data if I need to using
this technique.

Mark Brownell
Gizmotron Graphics