[ALL] let's think about Query Language for 2.0

Suros, Juan Juan.Suros at kyocera.com
Fri May 16 09:02:30 CDT 2003

Ruslan,

Here's an example of how this problem is solved in an existing system. In ABAP (script language of SAP R/3) there exists a standardized structure called SELECT-OPTIONS.

field		type
-----------	----------------
SIGN		char(1)
OPTION	char(2)
LOW		data dictionary dependant
HIGH		data dictionary dependant

SIGN:	can be {I,E} to Include or Exclude a range
OPTION: can be {EQ,NE,GT,GE,LT,LE,BT} which are equivalent to (=,!=,>,>=,<,<=,BETWEEN)
LOW: low value of range (or single value)
HIGH: high value of range

To use this functionality, I create a range object nd fill it with a query:

RANGES: range_t1 FOR table1.

range_t1-SIGN1 = 'I'.
range_t1-
range_t1-