[VSDK] Getting any field as a string.

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri May 16 10:20:50 CDT 2003

on 5/16/03 1:33 AM, Howard Steadman at hsteadma at fulltilt.com wrote:

Hi Howard,

> In the COM version of the world there was a method for getting any field as a
> string even if it was a number or date in the database. Can we do the same
> thing here in the SDK and would you provide an example?

Yes. And I have point this already!

You need get VDK_Field*

    VDK_Field* pField = cursor->GetField( "name" )

Now you can call VDK_Field::GetString()
This function return string for ALL types that can be represented in string.

    FBL_String* pStr = pfield->GetString()

> Also we would like to wrap our database functionality in a dll and expose the
> Cursor without having to export everything. Is there a way to do this?

VDK_Cursor or your own cursor ?

I think if your cursor then you should be able do this.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com