Unicode. Supported platforms

Peter De Berdt peter.de.berdt at pandora.be
Mon May 12 17:00:48 CDT 2003

>Hi guys,
>
>I have look into REALbasic docs, and I see
>
>>  Encoding in
>>  Under Carbon/Mac OS X, EditFields store all text internally in
>>Unicode, which
>>  is able
>>  to represent a mixture of fonts from different writing systems.
>
>So REALbasic support Unicode only on MacOS X for Carbon target.
>There is no need to support Unicode on classic then.

Nope, Unicode isn't supported for Classic, it is supported on Win32
however, I just had to go through more than 100.000 lines of code
(pretty big project) converting between ISO-Latin-1 (to store it in
my Valentina datafile) and UTF-8 (when populating from my Valentina
datafile) as the current version doesn't support Unicode. Otherwise
you get garbage characters and broken code all around, so it's
definitely supported on Windows compiles.

Peter De Berdt