Basic questions

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat May 10 10:26:12 CDT 2003

on 5/10/03 9:12 AM, Richard Altenburg at valentina at brainchild.nl wrote:

>> When setting up Valentina, you have to choose the number of data files (1
>> through 8). Why would I choose 8 vs. 4 vs. 1?
>
> One reason for a separate index-file, for example, is that you can just
> throw it away when the index seems to be corrupted. On opening, Valentina
> will automatically rebuild it. In 4D, you would have to use the Tools to do
> this. Further file separation might be handy, but I think it would be better
> if I could tell Valentina where to store the individual parts (for example,
> to put the BLOBs on a different volume).

I think this is discussed in ValentinaKernel.pdf and may be FAQ.

More info for you.

Separate .vdb file -- that have description of tables,
Allow you easy copy it on new computer, open, and Valentina will create all
rest files.

Separate index file Richard have explain.

Separate blob file from data file, was important when Valentina have had 2GB
limit. So this did allow have more data. Now Valentina has no limit. So may
be no big benefit here. Only if put on other HDD.

Yes, for 2.0 I want to allow to be different Valentina files located on
different volumes. At least by aliases.

Some guys (MacOS based) love do database all in one file.

So this choice is up to you.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com