Basic questions

Kem Tekinay ktekinay at mactechnologies.com
Fri May 9 22:16:24 CDT 2003

I'm about to start what I think will turn into a large project and I am
tossed between using 4D 2003 or the RB/Valentina combo. I already know the
advantages and disadvantages of 4D (although I can't find 4D 2003's record
limit; anyone know if it's still 16 mil?) and REALbasic. What I need is the
answers to some basic questions about Valentina and I hope this is the right
forum for that.

SPEED
=====
The benchmarks page hasn't been updated in a while. Do the numbers still
hold true with 4D 2003? Have more recent tests been performed?

STRUCTURE
=========
In 4D, if I want to change a field or add a field, I just do it. Even if I
later open an older data file, it is updated to match the structure
automatically. Is this true for Valentina data files?

When setting up Valentina, you have to choose the number of data files (1
through 8). Why would I choose 8 vs. 4 vs. 1?

You set the cache size when opening a database. Is there a rule of thumb for
how this should be set? Is there a point of diminishing returns if it is too
large?

Any help will be appreciated. I am really leaning towards 4D for this, but
would love a good reason to use Valentina.