SOLVED! vserver client error 9

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Wed May 7 10:06:28 CDT 2003

>Keith,
>
>1) you mean control panel "Network" and here choose Tab panel "AppleTalk".
>     and here I see check box "Make AppleTalk Active", yes?
>
>2) on my computer it is OFF.
>
>3) I wonder why you have set it ON on your computer???
>    I am able work with Internet and local network without it,
>     so why ???
>
>4) well, I have see that right now GUSI is tuned on TCP/IP based on
>OpenTransport protocol.
>I have see that exists some old MacTCP protocol.
>Are MacTCP and AppleTalk brothers?

Well, some clarifications seem to be in order.

TCP/IP is a protocol as we all know.

AppleTalk is a parallel protocol developed early on by Apple before
TCP/IP became widely used. AppleTalk was also the name of the
original cabling used for connections. Later, AppleTalk
implementation over the orginal or phonenet cabling was known as
LocalTalk whereas the variant running over ethernet was known as
EtherTalk (and variant on TokenRing was TokenTalk), but the
all-encompassing name renamed as AppleTalk.

Open Transport is not a protocol but software implementing networking
layers in Mac OS 8,9 and X. It implements multiple protocols. Under
OS 8 and 9, user front-ends are two control panels: AppleTalk and
TCP/IP. I think OSX combined them into one.

MacTCP is also software, a daddy of Open Transport so do speak. It
was the TCP/IP implementation on older Mac OS systems. User interface
was through MacTCP control panel. The Network control panel
controlled the common, lower layers of both IP and AppleTalk.

As to "why" one would have AppleTalk on, AppleTalk is the only
protocol supported by many older network-based printers and even
newer ones that support TCP/IP are usually easier to use with
AppleTalk. AppleTalk is also required to use old-fashioned AppleShare
file sharing protocol (although the newest implementations of
AppleShare work also through IP nets).

Both TCP/IP and AppleTalk must be able to be active and coexist on
any computer.

Robert