VServer class interface

Keith DeLong delong at redcort.com
Tue May 6 15:30:30 CDT 2003

Hi Igor,

>> A suggestion For completeness and application error checking. I envision
>> having a server object that is not performing as expected and wanting to
>> know where/how it is connected:
>>
>> long = VSever.host  // Returns the host of Vserver object
>> long = VSever.port  // Returns the port of Vserver object
>> str =VSever.user  // Returns the port of Vserver object
> Agree
>

>> For security, I don't think we should retain the password as an object
>> property.
>
> Could you, please, explain it?

It seems to me that a server object in RAM of a client that possessed the
host, port, username and password would make the server much less secure. My
thinking was that the ability to hack everything but a password would be a
good compromise for access verses security.

As long as we're talking about security:
I've noticed you are using an sa user -- is this a hard coded sysadmin
account? The better question might be 'how does one distinguish if the user
has admin or just user rights?'

I'd like to have the master.vdb have the user table possess a name, password
and type fields with the following types:

//type 1 = viewer          // read database
//type 2 = user            // read/write database
//type 3 = admin user      // designated admin functions

>> How about the ini based server variables?
>>
>> Str = VServer.SystemCatalog     //location of vserver database files
>> long = VServer.CacheSize        // the size of database cache in MB.
>> bool = Vserver.LogToConsole     //enables logging to the console.
>> bool = Vserver.LogToFile        //enables logging to the file.
>> long = Vserver.LogVerbosity     // Verbosity of the the error logs
>>   //0 - display error messages only;
>>   //1 - display errors and warnings;
>>   //2 - display errors, warnings and debugging messages;
>>   //3 - display errors, warnings, debugging messages and command level

> For 'LogToConsole'[r/w], 'LogToFile'[r/w] and 'LogVerbosity'[r/w] properties
> it's not a problem (r/w is read-write access)
> But I think that 'SystemCatalog' and 'CacheSize' properties will be
> read-only. To change it you must change ini-file options and
> restart server. Or may be other way: the properties will be r/w, but changes
> will take effect only after calling Restart() method. I must think more
> about it...

Making these ini functions read/write on reboot with the ability to reboot
would be quite a benefit for managing remote servers. :-)

Thanks again for your efforts,

Keith DeLong