AppleTalk vs. TCP/IP was: SOLVED! vserver client error 9

Kevin Windham kevo at gatorgraphics.com
Tue May 6 14:50:41 CDT 2003

Ruslan,

AppleTalk is simply a network protocol on the same level as TCP/IP,
IPX/SPX, or others. It was the first such protocol for the Mac, and was
far ahead of it's time due to the fact that devices could
auto-configure their own addresses, and they had a sort of built-in
locator service like DNS, but no configuration required.

It is still around for backwards compatibility, and as Keith mentioned
in another email, it is a wonderfully easy way to print to almost any
network printer. No IP address setup required.

Now, as for MacTCP, that was an implementation of the TCP/IP protocol
on Macs before Open Transport was introduced in System 7.5.2, if I
remember correctly. MacTCP and Appletalk are not really brothers. They
actually used completely separate code. However, OpenTransport did
unify AppleTalk and TCP/IP in the sense that all network protocols were
built on top of the Open Transport system at a lower level. That system
was based on Mentat streams.

 From the previous discussion, it sounds that maybe GUSI is using some
OpenTransport compatibility under OS X that is getting confused with
the AppleTalk implementation of OS X. Maybe that is causing the library
to fail to load. I would check there first.

HTH,
Kevin